Saturday 21 May 2011

I told you so ...

Hello again.

Some people thought the world was going to end today at 18:00.

It's now 18:01.

However, the whole discussion around it has been interesting to me simply because it gave me a legitimate reason to use the term 'eschatology', [the study of end times] because that was the topic of my dissertation - handed in 10 years ago this month:
I won't put you through the entire 10,000 word discussion of apocalyptic fiction, but I will share the first words:
... and the last:
And, as annoying as it can be, when you're feeling awful, to have someone say 'Cheer up, it's not the end of the world' ... today ... it seems rather appropriate.

Happy-Continuation-of-the-World-as-Usual-Day to you.

Make sure you enjoy it!

Julie    

4 comments:

  1. Love it. I am going to try and say "Cheer up! It's not the end of the world" multiple times today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At exactly 6pm today a car backfired in the street outside my house. I was worried for a moment!
    I like the 'end of the world' days, it gives a great excuse for celebrating when the world just carries on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great opening. Very. Dramatic. It looks like an interesting topic - I *sometimes* miss getting stuck into a topic like you do at uni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a teaser! Just the start and the end ... I want to read more! And happy apocalypse-not to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.