Thursday 21 November 2013

Found: A mouldy 'minion'?

Hi hi.

The human brain is hard-wired to recognise faces. It's likely an evolutionary thing. And sometimes this cognitive function leads us to recognising faces in things that aren't really faces.

[Bear with me on this science bit, there's something inane heading this way any minute. Promise.]

In our house we're very fond of finding these 'faces in places' and I've blogged at least one of them before now that time we found a potato that looked like a Marc John's drawing.  [How could I not blog about that?]

My photo folders are scattered with them and I know we're not alone ... there's a whole world of 'faces in places' photos over on Flickr and I've just come across Faces in Things on Twitter ... and so, with the knowledge that this is definitely a 'thing' ... and not that I'm just a little bit odd ... I just had to share our latest face with you today!

According to Wikipedia: "objects incidentally perceived as faces evoke an early activation in the ventral fusiform cortex, at a time and location similar to that evoked by faces"

So all I can say is: prepare to have your 'ventral fusiform cortex' activated ...

Last week James was putting some fresh lemons into the fruit bowl when something amongst the old ones in the bottom of the bowl caused him to shout over to me: 'There's a face in a place here" ...
... and, naturally, I had to go and look ... and he wasn't wrong, was he?


Is that not the cutest, most poignant seen-better-days lemon you've ever seen?

[If not, I insist on seeing your photographic evidence to the contrary.]

Personally I can see some family resemblance between it and a 'minion' from the Despicable Me films or a Toy Story alien?  What do you think?

If nothing else, it makes me feel better about my lapses in household management, how does that old saying go? She who has a perfect, spore-free fruit bowl shalt never get to blog about a mouldy lemon.

Now wouldn't that be a terrible pity?

Julie ;-)

11 comments:

  1. Awwwwww, and he's so cute. There really is something in what you say Julie as I am convinced there is a polar bear face in the wood of my wardrobe, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it's not just me that sees faces in places :-) there's one on my bedroom wallpaper and another one in the cracked concrete in my yard :-) when i show them to people they look at me like i'm cracked but now i know i'm not alone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I've been on a bit of a blog hiatus lately and I can say I've truly missed your sense of humor and insight into the world! So glad to be back and reading through your posts for the last few weeks.
    Hope to be around more in the future,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one very sad and lonely lemon.... He should come over and join the mouldy lemons in my fruit bowl

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice little face! Your last sentence really make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a cutie fruity! We do the same in or house, mouldy minion fruit beats mouldy bogey men on our old bathroom walls ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see the face but I can also see a fish (with a very small fin) LOL....bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is excellent! The face almost says sorry for being so moldy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant post! I love it, because it is so funny, and I thought I was the only one who constantly sees faces! I'll post about my latest face, thanks Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you have started something here Julie! And isn't it interesting that we don't just recognise a face cognitively but also have an emotional reaction to it as well :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.